Thursday, February 2, 2012

Be kind

I recently read an article discussing depression in America. And I'm not just talking about recession and The Great Depression. I'm talking about the millions of Americans that are struggling through this economy and the overall negativity that the news feeds us on a daily basis. I recently heard from a church friend that three different men whom he knew through another friend took their own lives on the same week. THey were depressed because they could not provide for their families. It seems like every day we read stories of people committing suicide due to financial issues, unemployment or a form of mental illness. What this tells me is that there is a lot of pain in our world and people need hope. I am reminded of the scripture verse in the Bible that says, "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life." (Proverbs 13:12) People need hope-bottom line. When you lose hope you lose the will to live.

I think America has been in a great depression, and it began on 9/11. Based on the stories I watched on television on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 last year it seems that we still have not recovered. My prayer is that we will see hope again, a great economy and opportunity for those who have not had one. In the meantime, I am making an extra effort to be kind to people and I'm starting with my home and even myself and letting it trickle to everyone, including strangers. Will you join me in spreading more kindness?

~Lynda

http://youtu.be/n7TLTjqUyog

No comments:

Post a Comment